Like children growing from toddlers to teenagers or puppies becoming faithful companions, landscapes are transformed as time goes by. A tree once no taller than you is now shading out the plants below; a shrub that seemed miles away from your walkway now crowds the path; and nicely defined bed edges are blurred with encroaching turf grass.
At Finke Gardens we believe great landscapes begin with a stunning design and flourish with a comprehensive management plan. Your landscape can grow and change over the seasons to create a wonderful place to live outdoors.
When developing a management plan, our goal is to get to know you, your landscape, and how we can work to create a beautiful, relaxing environment for you to enjoy.
We believe the best management plan anticipates changes in plant growth, lifestyle, and function to enhance your outdoor experience.
You can partner with Finke Gardens to establish your landscape for years of worry-free enjoyment. Our nursery and landscape professionals will work with you to develop a personalized plan for service when you need it.
Landscape Management Preview
- Remove unwanted plantsWeeds can be removed mechanically or treated by one of our Nebraska certified pesticide applicators
- Cut fresh bed edgesIt’s all about the details and this detail will make your landscape outstanding
- Fertilize & amend soilNebraska's heavy clay soils will always need improvement for best plant performance
- Topdress with fresh mulchRetain soil moisture, reduce weeds and create clean appearance
- Apply pre-emergent herbicideA granular application to reduce new weed populations
- Remove old flowersKeep your flowers blooming to their full potential
- Pinch back perennialsEncourage plant branching, reduce flopping and increase beautiful displays; we’re looking at you Autumn Joy Sedum
- Divide perennials and ornamental grassesDivide to maximize growth, flowering and health of plants
- Check plants for insect & disease damageKnow the potential problems and only treat when necessary to reduce the use of chemical controls
- Monitor soil moistureToo much water? Too little water? Even with advances in irrigation systems it is critical to check plants to confirm they receiving the proper amount of water.
Trees & Shrubs:
- Timely pruning of flowering shrubsWant to marvel at the blooms on your lilac while getting the blooms back at eye level, we know when to prune to do just that!
- Thinning & rejuvenation pruningInsure a healthier and longer life for your shrubs by improving air movement and new growth.
- Structural pruning on newly planted treesOur Nebraska Certified Nurserymen use the latest, pruning techniques to guide young trees into strong mature specimens
- Protection from deer & rabbitsTimely tricks with trunk guards and fencing to discourage hungry animals
- Protection from winter dryingApply protective spray to reduce winter burn/desiccation of broadleaf evergreens / prevent sunscald to trees with thin bark by installing trunk guards
- Inspect plants for insect & disease damageSearch the bark and leaves for borers, galls, mildew and other potential problems
- Monitor soil moistureAnalyze site conditions to determine supplemental water needs during periods of drought
- Annual flowersAnnuals can be matched with the seasons for jaw-dropping color throughout the year
- Remove leaves and debrisWould you rather be raking or relaxing on a beautiful autumn day? Let Finke Gardens make your leaves disappear so you can enjoy your time outdoors.
- Clear sidewalks and patiosIf you have an old oak nearby, odds are there’s a pile of windswept leaves in the nooks and walks of your home during the winter that you would rather not see
- Cut back perennials and ornamental grassesThey're striking in the winter snow, but come spring you'll want to clear any standing grasses & seedheads
- Assess, analyze & reflectWhat worked, what didn't? What did you enjoy, what did you loathe? How can we add to the enjoyment of your life outdoors?