April 4Spring is in full swing! Although it is still a bit too early to plant many annual flowers, this is a great time to plant trees, shrubs, and certain vegetables. Here are a few more tips.
- Begin spring clean-up of landscape beds.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs after the flowers fade. Pruning Guide
- Plant trees and shrubs.
- Cut back perennials and remove protective mulch.
- Remove sticks and other debris from the lawn and landscape beds.
- Re-mulch landscape beds. How much? Use our mulch calculator.
- Watch for sawflies on evergreens now through May, treat as needed.
- Plant cool-season vegetables as soon as the soil can be worked.
- Aerate high-traffic areas of the lawn.
- Apply pre-emergence herbicide to the lawn and landscape beds in late-April.
- Review the NebGuides available from UNL - answers to the questions you forgot you had last season just might be there!
- Contact your irrigation company to set up your system for the season.
- Calibrate your irrigation system.
- Backyard Farmer returns to live broadcast on Thursday, April 2, at 7 pm and did you know about the wealth of information that is available on their website?