August 8During the heat of summer, plants need extra water. Don’t forget to water yourself too- stay hydrated when working in the yard and avoid working outdoors during the hottest part of the day. Or, spend some time indoors planning for fall projects.
- Plant trees, shrubs, and perennials. It’s not too hot to do so!
- Watch for webworm in honeylocust and others. Break up webs with a broom.
- Watch for spider mites on conifers. Treat as needed with horticultural oil.
- After August 15th begin reseeding lawn areas.
- Begin harvesting vegetables as they ripen.
- Plant vegetables for the fall garden. Refrigerate seeds for one week before planting and shade with row covers to improve germination.
- Irrigate the lawn and landscape as needed. One inch per week is sufficient.