February 2Winter may still be in the air, but it is time to start dreaming of spring! If you have cabin fever, get outside on a nice day and check a few things off your to-do list.
- Plan your vegetable garden: try some of Finke’s homegrown vegetable transplants or try your hand at growing your own with tips from Botanical Interest.
- Check soil moisture if the weather has been mild and dry. Water as needed, especially conifers and newly planted trees, shrubs, and perennials.
- Gently remove heavy snow loads from trees & shrubs.
- Scout for animal damage and install fencing if necessary.
- Prune most woody trees and shrubs now, except those that bloom on old wood. See Finke’s Pruning Guide on the website for recommendations.
- Plan your vegetable garden. Plan to try some of Finke’s homegrown vegetable transplants.
- Contact Finke Gardens to schedule your spring clean-up.
- Re-application of anti-transpirants may be needed on newly planted evergreens. Follow product label for guidelines.