February 2Winter may still be in the air, but it is time to start dreaming of spring! If you have cabin fever, get outside on a nice day and check a few things off your to-do list.
- Contact Finke Gardens to schedule spring cleanup.
- Plan your vegetable garden: try your hand at growing your own with tips from Botanical Interest.
- Check soil moisture if the weather has been mild and dry. Water as needed, especially conifers and newly planted trees, shrubs, and perennials. For more information, see Backyard Farmer's article on Winter Dessication
- Gently remove heavy snow loads from trees & shrubs.
- Scout for animal damage and install fencing if necessary.
- Prune most woody trees and shrubs now, except those that bloom on old wood. See Finke’s Pruning Guide on the website for recommendations.
- Plan your vegetable garden now. Our favorite mail-order sources for vegetable seeds are Johnny’s Selected Seed and Botanical Interest Seed, both with many seeds available in organic forms.
- Contact Finke Gardens to schedule your spring clean-up.
- Re-application of anti-transpirants may be needed on newly planted evergreens. Follow product label for guidelines.