March 3Spring is just around the corner! As the weather warms and the days get longer, there is plenty to do in the yard. Get a head start on the season with these simple garden reminders.
- Prune trees and shrubs before growth begins. Avoid pruning those that flower on old wood. See our Pruning Guide for general recommendations.
- Plant trees and shrubs as soon as the soil thaws and dries.
- Remove sticks and other debris from the lawn and landscape beds.
- Clean and sharpen gardening tools and mower blades.
- Prepare the lawn mower and other small engines with an oil change and tune-up.
- Cut back perennials and remove protective mulch in late March.
- Plant peas, onions, potatoes, cabbage, broccoli and asparagus as soon as the soil has dried and can be worked.
- Review the NebGuides available from UNL - answers to the questions you forgot you had last season just might be there!
- Review the Kentucky Bluegrass Management Calendar.